1. Topic: You had me at donut, Alison McGhee. I'm pretty sure kids will feel the same way.
2. The Little Sheriff: The perfect main character with one flaw that everyone can relate to- kids and adults alike.
3. Illustrations: Isabel Roxas nails this one on so many levels but it was the expressions on Sheriff's face that really had him leaping off the page.
4. Simple but SO Hard: All the Sheriff had to do was get the donuts home safely...I love the simplicity of this problem. Seems easy enough...but not when you love donuts like Sheriff does.
5. The Deputy: Every Sheriff has to have a Deputy to stand by his side and help when trouble arises. This little guy fits the bill.
Parents: A deliciously fun read (see what I did there) for any donut-loving kid.
Teachers: Reading dialogue with expression; characterization; making predictions; author's message: honesty
Writers: Great opening; great drama build-up; voice