Surf's Up - Kwame Alexander & Daniel Miyares
- 2 Main Characters- 2 frogs named Bro & Dude. Perfect names for surfing book characters and so fun to read aloud!
- Dialogue - This story is told entirely through the dialogue between Bro and Dude making it perfect for a sibling read-aloud or reader's theater in a classroom.
- A Book About a Totally Awesome Book:- What's better than a day at the beach surfing it up with your best bud? A totally awesome book that takes you on a wild adventure!
- Illustrations - Daniel Miyares had his work cut out for him in this book. He really had to illustrate two stories: Surf's Up and the book that Bro is reading (Moby Dick) throughout Surf's Up. Brilliantly done!
- Language- The word choice is perfect and fun and really adds to the enjoyment of this story. Wowie Kazowie is my personal favorite.
Parents: Low word count makes it easy to read again and again. Also, a great summer read since the setting is at the beach.
Teachers: GREAT reader's theater opportunity with this book. Also, great for reading with expression.
Writers: Perfect mentor text for a story told entirely through dialogue, adding voice, and low word count.