1. Womp Womp- Ever had one of those, "I don't want to adult today" days? This book is that for penguins. The sun is too sunny and the ocean is too salty. Life is rough for this particular penguin and no one seems to care.
2. VOICE- Using all caps here for a reason. The voice in this book has easily made it one of my new all-time favorites. I literally have no idea what book can top this one.
3. The Wise Walrus- Lo! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it does! Take note young penguin. The wise walrus drops some serious knowledge in your direction.
4. The Eyes: Lane Smith brilliantly conveys so much emotion just by changing the placement of penguin's eyes!
5. My Kids' favorite page: I don't want to ruin it for you but...the page turn after the wise walrus does his thing. On. The. Floor. Laughing.
Parents: It's a quick read - perfect for right before bed. Just be warned - there will be lots of laughing!
Teachers: Reading with expression, characterization
Writers: VOICE! I can't say this one enough!; Show don't tell; Low word count