1. Chicken With Sass- Zoey doesn't ask a single question in the entire story, driving the story forward with each declaration. Everything she says is done with so much conviction and determination to reach her goal. Love this chick! (Do you see what I did there?)
2. Sidekick Sam- He tries to be the voice of reason and reality and he really loves pie.
3. End Papers- I love the subtle reminder here that Zoey isn't like the other chickens. Simple yet effective.
4. Imagination- What kid hasn't imagined him/herself flying into outer space? I love how this book captures how powerful the imagination can be.
5. Open Ending- Lehrhaupt leaves the ending open which hopefully means that we will see more adventures with Zoey and Sam.
Parents: Great book for expanding your child's imagination, friendship-themed
Teachers: Definite reader's theater opportunity here, reading with expression, characterization, extend the story (write the next adventure)
Writers: Voice, rule of three, using a repeated line throughout